A Solution Focused Approach To Severe Trauma & Stress Recovery
ONE AND TWO DAY TRAINING WORKSHOPS
These workshops will provide participants with easy-to-learn-and-apply solution focused tools and techniques to enable victims of severe trauma and stress to get their lives back on track.
Initially, importance is placed on affirming and empowering victims of trauma to regain control over symptoms. The six fields of work - triggers, flashbacks, intrusive thoughts, sleep disturbance, ‘the lows’ and living life to the full, are examined in detail to give participants increased understanding and confidence in working with this client group in a specialised solution focused way.
You can choose between the one-day or the two-day workshop. The two-day workshop will cover the topics in more depth.
Intended Learning Outcomes
At the end of each workshop (1-day and 2-day) attendees will be able to:
- Demonstrate an increased understanding of severe trauma and/or stress
- Describe the characteristics of the ‘victimhood’, ‘survivorhood’ and ‘living life well’/’thriverhood’
- Describe the basic solution focused tools & techniques used with this group of service users
- Use a variety of specialised tools and techniques for helping those involved move further towards living life well
- Recognise how the specialised techniques can be applied to all types of trauma
- List the main points service users have made about how best support workers can be helpful
- Name the pitfalls when working with severe trauma and/or stress
- Highlight the most helpful and useful questions to ask
- List the key ways staff can look after themselves to enable them to undertake this important work
- Feel more confident in their work with a wide range of service users who have experienced severe trauma and/or stress.
The 2-day workshops held in Auckland and Wellington will cover the above topics in more depth.
About The Presenter
John Henden has a background in psychology, is a qualified counsellor and a member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy. For over 20 years he worked within the National Health Service in the UK both as a clinician and in management roles before establishing his training and consultancy firm. He regularly presents on a range of solution focused topics in different international forums, and has received particular acclaim for his work on solution focused suicide prevention and intervention.
John is an author, and his best-selling book ‘Preventing Suicide: The Solution Focused Approach‘, is now into its second edition. His new book 'What It Takes To Thrive: Techniques for Severe Trauma and Stress Recovery' deals with all aspects of severe trauma and stress recovery by offering tools and techniques to manage triggers, flashbacks or intrusive thoughts, helping survivors to regain control of their lives.
His energetic and captivating presentation style, utilizing multiple teaching mediums, ensures delegates will leave equipped to incorporate this ground breaking intervention model immediately, into their work with at-risk people.
Who Should Attend
Telephone crisis line staff, psychotherapists, mental health nurses, Fire & Rescue staff, Ambulance staff, art therapists, Veterans’ welfare agencies and their welfare staff.
Also, Police, counsellors, psychiatrists, psychologists, military personnel, clinicians, criminal justice professionals, social and youth workers.
Dates & Locations
Auckland - Tuesday 11 & Wednesday 12 September 2018 - Naumi Auckland Airport Hotel
Hamilton - Friday, 14 September 2018 - The Western Community Centre
Palmerston North - Monday, 17 September 2018 - Massey University
Wellington - Wednesday 19 & Thursday 20 September 2018 - Venue TBC
Price & Registration
Two Day Workshops
Earlybird Special – $295.00 + GST
Standard Price - $325.00 + GST
One Day Workshops
Earlybird Special – $170.00 + GST
Standard Price - $195.00 + GST
NB: The Earlybird pricing finishes on 24 August 2018.
There are 3 easy, steps to complete the online booking process, and you can choose to pay by credit card, or your organisation be invoiced. You will be prompted to select your option as you go through the payment system.
Upon completion of your registration, you will receive an automated confirmation email. If you have any issues or questions about your booking, please contact Faye Johnson on 06 878 3456 or email: email@example.com
What happens if you have to cancel?
We know that sometimes your plans can change for many different reasons. Should you be unable to attend, a substitute delegate is welcome to attend at no extra cost. If a substitute delegate is not available and you need to cancel your registration, please be aware of the following:
- Up to 7 days prior to the event you will be provided a refund of your registration cost, less a $50.00 plus GST service charge
- If you cancel within 7 days of the event, you are not eligible to receive a refund. Please note: should your registration not be paid by the time of the event, you are still liable to make the payment. Unpaid accounts may be passed over to our debt collection agency and additional costs may be incurred.
All cancellations must be received in writing (email). You will be sent the workshop materials upon request.
Delegates are responsible for their own travel/accommodation bookings and no compensation will be made should the event be rescheduled or cancelled.
Please note: GROW Ltd reserves the right to make any amendments that we may deem to be in the best interest of the forum – it is however very unlikely and we will notify you as soon as possible should this occur.
Morning tea, lunch, and afternoon tea are included.
Vegetarian and gluten-free options will be available. In an effort to keep the price as low as possible, other special dietary requirements are unable to be catered for.
Resources will be emailed to participants prior to the workshop.