This one-day training will examine and address, the following questions regarding Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD):
- What is personality?
- How does personality become disordered?
- What is Borderline Personality Disorder?
- Why does BPD have such an impact on staff?
- How is BPD most effectively managed and treated?
- How do we support the client and their families effectively.
Diane Clare will provide attendees with practical skills for working with those with emotional intensity difficulties.
The workshop will also provide a brief introduction to the STEPPS (Systems Training in Emotional Predictability & Problem Solving) programme, explain why this approach is so helpful in responding to clients with consistency, and why it lends itself well to a cultural approach with Maori and Pacific cultures due to working with the client’s support system. A 2-day workshop about delivering the STEPPS approach will be offered in early 2020.
Who Should Attend:
In addition to therapists and MH professionals in both primary and secondary level care, this workshop is also for front-line staff with no, or little psychological training, who may be struggling with how to work with these clients.
It is suitable for those working in social services, health and law enforcement, including:
- Emergency Room staff, Crisis Telephone Helpline staff
- School counsellors and teaching staff
- Community mental health staff
- Police and Probation Officers
- Youth justice counsellors
- Key Workers, Unit Managers, Mental Health Nurses, Social Workers
- General Practitioners
- Psychologists & Psychiatrists RTLB, Therapists, and Licensed Practising Counsellors
It will particularly suit those in NFP’s, community-based outreach services, community organisations, and those working with specific groups including young people or people with comorbid substance use.
Arrival tea & coffee, morning tea and lunch are included.
Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options will be available. In an effort to keep the price as low as possible, other special dietary requirements are unable to be catered for, you are however welcome to bring your own snacks and lunch.
Post-Event Takeaway Reference Material
In line with our sustainability objectives, conference presentations will not be distributed in hard copy but will instead be available via a weblink to be advised via email either prior to or following the workshop.
Commitment to Access and Equity
We are committed to access and equity and endeavour to meet the needs of all delegates. Please contact our team at 06 878 3456 if you require special assistance. In order to assist us in understanding delegate needs, please advise your access requirements as early as possible. Request at late notice may not be able to be met.