Preventing Suicide Using The Solution Focused Approach - 21 Sept 2018 - SOLD OUT
Thank you for your interest in this event.
This Auckland workshop is now Sold Out however we do have a short waiting list in the event we have cancellations.
Over 600 New Zealanders take their lives every year, with countless more experiencing suicidal ideas or acting on these thoughts in the form of non-fatal suicide attempts.
Interestingly, studies have shown that around 60% of those who die by suicide, speak to a helping professional in the weeks prior to their death. All human services professionals need a framework for assessing and intervening with suicidal clients, to ensure that these opportunities for intervention are utilized for the maximum benefit of their at-risk clients.
About the workshop
Following the success of his February workshops, John Henden presents a repeat of this one-day workshop on Preventing Suicide Using the Solution Focused approach – a unique approach to working with the suicidal person which reduces both suicidal thinking, and the sense of burden on the helper.
This workshop specifically aims to reduce suicide rates amongst those contemplating suicide and to teach the basic tools and techniques of the solution-focused approach to those working with suicidal persons, or those directly supporting suicidal persons. It will also provide tools and skills, that can be implemented immediately, that reduce the sense of burden on those supporting the suicidal person.
One Day Workshop – Auckland
This one-day workshop will focus on the practical side of preventing suicide using this approach. There will be some powerful solution-focused techniques demonstrated, followed by interactive role play by participants.
John will cover:
- How we can tell whether someone is suicidal, rather than simply depressed.
- Empathy and Deep empathy.
- The 3 core conditions for effective communication and rapid rapport building.
- Questions to elicit suicidal ideation.
- Sample questions to ask once suicidal ideation has been established.
- Effective Solution Focused techniques in suicide prevention.
- 10 key points to cover in the first session.
- Generating other possibilities, alongside the suicide option, as potential solutions to difficulties.
- ‘Going with’ the suicidal person.
- Being as effective as possible.
- Graveside Scenario.
- Ending a session positively and constructively.
He will demonstrate practical examples of the above, and in addition, cover dealing with the trauma around suicide.
At the conclusion of this workshop, attendees will:
- Have a good grasp of the basic concepts of the solution focused approaches to the suicidal person.
- Be confident enough to apply at least three of the solution focused skills learnt, with immediate effect, into their current working practice.
- Feel more comfortable in their dealings with people who want to talk about suicide or self harm as an option for dealing with their difficulties.
- Appreciate the value and importance of optimism within themselves, even when dealing with the most tragic of human circumstances confronting them.
Who Should Attend
Front-line staff working in social services, health, education and law enforcement: Key Workers, Unit Managers, Mental Health Nurses, Social Workers, Psychologists, Psychiatrists RTLB, Teachers, General Practitioners, Therapists, Emergency Room staff, Telephone Helpline staff, Residential Care Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, Licensed Practicing Counselors, Police and Probation Officers.
Also, volunteers, and those who have the lived-experience of supporting Whanau who are suicidal, and anyone who wants to learn simple yet effective tools to help those at risk.
Auckland – One Day Workshop – $170.00pp + GST
There are 3 easy, steps to complete the online booking process, and you can choose to pay by credit card, or your organisation be Invoiced. You will be prompted to select your option as you go through the payment system.
Upon completion of your registration, you will receive an automated confirmation email. If you have any issues or questions about your booking, please contact Faye Johnson on 06 878 3456 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens if you have to cancel?
We know that sometimes your plans can change for many different reasons. Should you be unable to attend, a substitute delegate is welcome to attend at no extra cost. If a substitute delegate is not available and you need to cancel your registration, please be aware of the following:
- Up to 7 days prior to the event you will be provided a refund of your registration cost, less a $50.00 plus GST service charge
- If you cancel within 7 days of the event, you are not eligible to receive a refund. Please note: should your registration not be paid by the time of the event, you are still liable to make the payment. Unpaid accounts may be passed over to our debt collection agency and additional costs may be incurred.
All cancellations must be received in writing (email). You will be sent the event's materials upon request.
Delegates are responsible for their own travel/accommodation bookings and no compensation will be made should the event be rescheduled or cancelled.
Please note: GROW Ltd reserves the right to make any amendments that we may deem to be in the best interest of the forum – it is however very unlikely and we will notify you as soon as possible should this occur.
Date & Location
Auckland – Friday, 21 September 2018
Whenua Pupuke Building
Waitemata DHB, North Shore Hospital
Workshop Runs: 9.00am - 3.30pm
North Shore Hospital traffic services are able to offer concession parking rates of $5 per day for attendees of conferences and seminars at Whenua Pupuke.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Payment is by Eftpos Only
About the presenter:
John Henden has a background in psychology, is a qualified counselor and a member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy. For over 20 years he worked within the NHS both as a clinician and in management roles before establishing his training and consultancy firm. He regularly presents on a range of solution focused topics in different international forums, and has received particular acclaim for his work on solution focused suicide prevention and intervention.
John is an author, and his best-selling book ‘Preventing Suicide: The Solution Focused Approach‘, is now into its second edition.
His energetic and captivating presentation style, utilizing multiple teaching mediums, ensures delegates will leave equipped to incorporate this ground breaking intervention model immediately, into their work with at-risk people.
This training will be of benefit to all who come into contact with suicidal people regardless of their agency setting.
Instant tea and coffee will be provided during the day - no day catering is provided.
We recommend you bring your own snacks and lunch. There are cafes on site at the hospital.
Resources will be emailed to participants prior to the workshop.
We are proud to have the support of the following partners