Suicide remains one of the most pressing of all mental health problems. Join one of the great innovators in the field of suicide prevention and author of the classic text, The Practical Art of Suicide Assessment as he describes some of the newest approaches to preventing suicide.
From understanding matrix treatment planning as a means of preventing suicide, to learning the ins and outs of using the Chronological Assessment of Suicide Events (CASE Approach) from its creator, participants will enjoy the compelling videos and challenging ideas of one of the most popular speakers in mental health today.
This one-day workshop consists of 3 segments and will provide front-line clinicians with the state-of-the-art skills necessary to tackle some of the most difficult clinical situations facing clinicians regarding suicide assessment and prevention, treatment planning, and building resiliency.
- The Art of Matrix Treatment Planning and the Quest for Happiness: Suicide Prevention in a New Light
- Innovative Interviewing Techniques for Uncovering Hidden, Sensitive and Taboo Material
- The Delicate Art of Eliciting Suicidal Ideation: The Chronological Assessment of Suicide Events
All interviewing techniques will be clearly demonstrated through the use of video examples from actual client interviews.
- Be able to effectively apply the principles of matrix treatment planning and understand their relationship to the quest for a more resilient form of happiness and suicide prevention (including healing matrix effects, damaging matrix effects, and the Red Herring Principle).
- Recognize and be able to utilise the following seven interviewing techniques for uncovering sensitive and taboo material: normalization, shame attenuation, the behavioural incident, gentle assumption, denial of the specific, the catch-all question, and symptom amplification.
- Be able to utilise flexible strategies for weaving the above seven validity techniques into effective methods of uncovering sensitive material related to suicide such as antisocial behaviour, substance abuse, and violent ideation, while maintaining a powerful engagement.
- Be able to apply the CASE Approach to uncover hidden suicidal ideation, actions, and intent.
What Other Attendees have said about Dr Shea’s Workshops
“Invaluable information, presented by a speaker who was tremendously engaging, personal, and dynamic.”
Dr Nick Miraidi, Ph.D. Psychologist
“One of the most effectively taught continuing education programs I’ve attended in twelve years. Practical interviewing and supervision techniques taught with a refreshing sense of humour and humanity.”
Susan Rice, L.I.C.S.W.
“The best single training session I’ve attended in thirty years of being a teacher and psychologist.”
James Lewis, Ed.D.
“Very helpful, practical. I feel this will be applicable immediately and will be profoundly useful.”
Dr Paul Maguire, Psychiatric Resident
“A refreshing approach to presenting clinically relevant material. I especially appreciated the sense of compassion displayed and the holistic perspective modelled.”
Patricia Quinlan, School Social Worker
Price & Registration
Third and subsequent delegates from the same organisation discount - $350.00 pp
Please NOTE – for the multi-attendee discount to apply, all bookings must be made at the same time on the registration page. Payment is by credit card.
Full-time Students $295.00 pp. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your student identification details to receive the special booking link.
Payment online is by VISA, Mastercard or American Express only and there are 3 easy steps to complete the online booking process.
Upon completion of your registration, you will receive an automated confirmation email. If you have any issues or questions about your booking, please contact Faye Johnson on +64 6 878 3456 or email: email@example.com
What happens if you have to cancel?
We know that sometimes your plans can change for many different reasons. Should you be unable to attend, a substitute delegate is welcome to attend at no extra cost. If a substitute delegate is not available and you need to cancel your registration, please be aware of the following:
- Up to 7 days prior to the event you will be provided a refund of your registration cost, less a $50.00 per attendee service charge
- If you cancel within 7 days of the event, you are not eligible to receive a refund. Please note: should your registration not be paid by the time of the event, you are still liable to make the payment.
- Unpaid accounts may be passed over to our debt collection agency and additional costs may be incurred.
- All cancellations must be received in writing (email). You will be sent the event's materials upon request.
- Delegates are responsible for their own travel/accommodation bookings and no compensation will be made should the event be rescheduled or cancelled.
Please note: GROW Ltd reserves the right to make any amendments that we may deem to be in the best interest of the forum – it is however very unlikely and we will notify you as soon as possible should this occur.
For more information see our full Terms of Trade.
Morning tea and lunch are included.
Post-Event Takeaway Reference Material
In line with our sustainability objectives, conference presentations will not be distributed in hard copy but will instead be available via a weblink to be advised via email either prior to or following the workshop.
Commitment to Access and Equity
We are committed to access and equity and endeavour to meet the needs of all delegates. Please contact our team at 06 878 3456 if you require special assistance. In order to assist us in understanding delegate needs, please advise your access requirements as early as possible. Request at late notice may not be able to be met.