Digital is the way of the future and there is a shortage of skilled designers and web builders across New Zealand. This is a business area where skilled people can thrive working within a team or freelancing as a small business.
This is also a sector where location is not necessary a barrier to success as long as you have a good internet connection and are able to use online tools to communicate and engage with potential clients. It is also a sector where candidates with a barrier to employment such as a physical disability or mental health diagnosis are not a barrier to success.
We are looking to work with suitable unemployed people who want to start their own digital design business and over a 26 week period set them up for success. To achieve this, we will provide successful candidates with:
- Training to establish a business, create a business plan, and then purchase an appropriate home setup for design and web development.
- Training in graphic design skills using Adobe Creative Suite, Canva and other appropriate online software so that they have the base skills required to undertake commercial design work.
- Training in website development and be allocated projects where they will create a website for a not-for-profit sector business under the guidance of GROW and Rocketspark team members.
- Candidates will be coached in the required accounting, taxation and basic business skills so that they are able to optimise their practices to suit both their lifestyle needs and their commercially valuable skills.
- Once candidates skills are of commercial quality, they will become a member of the GROW Co-operative and be allocated projects that are secured by the account managers earning 66% of the income generated from each sale. Candidates are also able to secure their own projects and either run these through GROW or their own business.
- Candidates will be introduced to potential employers should they prefer to move into employment or receive guidance in the establishment of their self-employed business entity if this is their preference.
Flexi-Wage Self-Employment Programme administered by the Ministry of Social Development provides:
- Candidates with a wage of up to $600 per week paid directly by MSD for up to 26 weeks.
- Access business start-up grants of up to $10k to purchase their own tools of trade (computers, software etc), with the guidance of our technical partners.
- MSD will provide GROW with a Business, Training & Advice Grant to support candidates with training, mentoring and support over the 26 week term.
How will it Work?
Candidates will receive personalised and group support each week over the 26 week term in each of the key areas. This will be delivered via a mix of personal coaching sessions, on-line webinars and workshops, phone calls and team software.
While each candidate will have a personalised mentoring / training programme that meets their personal needs / aspirations, much of the training will be provided within a group Zoom session where they will work with subject matter experts and be required at times to work on team projects.
It is essential that candidates have access to a good quality internet connection for the duration of the programme.
Establishing a Business
Figuring out how to set up a business can be hard work if you’re doing it on your own so we work with you to make this a reality by following a step-by-step process.
7 Steps to Business Launch
Register your business name
And establish the most appropriate business structure. You need to gather quite a lot of information to make this happen, but we’ll help with that. Our business start-up experts can also answer any questions you might have.
Register your domain name
A website is essential when you’re getting started in business. We’ll help you to register a domain name that’s unique to your business and easy for customers to remember.
Set up email addresses
Once you have a domain name, we can set up your email addresses. You can add to these any time you like.
Your logo is the foundation of your brand. It needs to represent your business in a memorable way to the people who will be your customers.
Understand & communicate your Brand
Developing your colour palette is part of the brand design process. You can suggest some colours to us or we can select them for you, based on your industry sector and customer types.
It’s important to get your website up before you start trading. Customers need to see that you’re the real deal. When they can find you on the web, you become credible and trustworthy. The type of website you need depends on the nature of your business:
- If you’re not selling products online, you will need what we call a ‘brochure website’. It’s an information source that tells people about your company and the products or services it offers.
- If you want to sell products online, you will need an ‘ecommerce website’. It will let people read about products, then buy them instantly.
Getting set up with Xero is the best way to handle the number-crunching side of your business.
With our help, you can subscribe to Xero and find out how to use it. Xero makes it easy to track sales, send invoices, pay invoices, monitor inventory, manage GST, handle tax returns and much more.
Throughout this process you will learn technical and design skills, and be introduced to new skills such as marketing and selling your services.
This is really in your hands. Demand for these skills and people who have excellent digital skills is only projected to increase.
There will be opportunities for candidates to be freelance providers to GROW or other agencies. You will also be able to build your own client base as a sole trader or they may even choose to secure an employment role if you decide that self-employment is not your thing.
Do you Qualify?
If you are unemployed and receiving support from the Ministry of Social Development, we suggest that you talk with your Case Manager to see if this is suitable for you. If they think so, a Work Broker will introduce you to the BizRocket team who will then arrange a meeting to explore the next steps.
This is an easy and relaxed process designed to ensure that all suitable candidates can consider this opportunity.
If you’ve always dreamed of starting your own business, but never quite managed to make it happen, BizRocket will turn your dreams into reality!