Digital is the way of the future and there is a shortage of skilled business owners across New Zealand. Self employment using digital skills or even trading online is a business area where skilled people can thrive both working within a team or freelancing as a small business on its own account.
This is also a sector where location is not necessary a barrier to success as long as you have a good internet connection and are able to use online tools to communicate and engage with potential clients. Candidates with a barrier to employment such as a physical disability or mental health diagnosis are not a prevented from succeeding.
We are looking to work with suitable unemployed people who want to start their own digital business and over a 20 week period set them up for success. To achieve this, we will provide successful candidates with:
- Training to establish a business, create a business plan, and then purchase an appropriate home setup.
- Training in digital skills and appropriate online software so that they have the base skills required to undertake commercial work.
- Training in website development and build their own business website.
- Candidates will be coached in the required accounting, taxation and basic business skills so that they are able to optimise their practices to suit both their lifestyle needs and their commercially valuable skills.
- Candidates may be introduced to potential employers should they prefer to move into employment or receive guidance in the establishment of their self-employed business entity if this is their preference.
Flexi-Wage Self-Employment Programme administered by the Ministry of Social Development provides:
- Candidates with a wage of up to $600 per week paid directly by MSD for up to 26 weeks.
- Access business start-up grants of up to $10k to purchase their own tools of trade (computers, software etc), with the guidance of our technical partners.
- GROW will provide candidates with business training, coaching and advice for up to 20 weeks.
How will it Work?
Candidates will receive personalised and group support each week over the 20 week term in each of the key areas. This will be delivered via a mix of personal coaching sessions, on-line webinars and workshops, phone calls and team software.
While each candidate will have a personalised mentoring / training programme that meets their personal needs / aspirations, much of the training will be provided within a group Zoom session where they will work with subject matter experts and be required at times to work on team projects.
It is essential that candidates have access to a good quality internet connection for the duration of the programme.
Establishing a Business
Figuring out how to set up a business can be hard work if you’re doing it on your own so we work with you to make this a reality by following a step-by-step process.
7 Steps to Business Launch
Register your business name
And establish the most appropriate business structure. You need to gather quite a lot of information to make this happen, but we’ll help with that. Our business start-up experts can also answer any questions you might have.
Register your domain name
A website is essential when you’re getting started in business. We’ll help you to register a domain name that’s unique to your business and easy for customers to remember.
Set up email addresses
Once you have a domain name, we can set up your email addresses. You can add to these any time you like.
Your logo is the foundation of your brand. It needs to represent your business in a memorable way to the people who will be your customers.
Understand & communicate your Brand
Developing your colour palette is part of the brand design process. You can suggest some colours to us or we can select them for you, based on your industry sector and customer types.
It’s important to get your website up before you start trading. Customers need to see that you’re the real deal. When they can find you on the web, you become credible and trustworthy. The type of website you need depends on the nature of your business:
- If you’re not selling products online, you will need what we call a ‘brochure website’. It’s an information source that tells people about your company and the products or services it offers.
- If you want to sell products online, you will need an ‘ecommerce website’. It will let people read about products, then buy them instantly.
Getting set up with Xero is the best way to handle the number-crunching side of your business.
With our help, you can subscribe to Xero and find out how to use it. Xero makes it easy to track sales, send invoices, pay invoices, monitor inventory, manage GST, handle tax returns and much more.
Throughout this process you will learn technical and design skills, and be introduced to new skills such as marketing and selling your services.
This is really in your hands. Demand for skilled people who have excellent digital skills is only projected to increase.
Do you Qualify?
If you are unemployed and receiving support from the Ministry of Social Development, we suggest that you talk with your Case Manager to see if this is suitable for you. If they think so, a Work Broker will introduce you to the BizRocket team who will then arrange a meeting to explore the next steps.
This is an easy and relaxed process designed to ensure that all suitable candidates can consider this opportunity.
If you’ve always dreamed of starting your own business, but never quite managed to make it happen, BizRocket will turn your dreams into reality!
BizRocket - About Us
BizRocket is a business development and mentoring service offered by GROW Limited – A Hawke’s Bay based events, training and design agency with years of experience in supporting clients with graphic design and web development services.
We want to help you succeed!
Let us help you relaunch your career!